Here are some Orioles news and notes from the last week or so…
1. Things are looking up for the boys from Baltimore
a. The Orioles are currently 10 games over .500 at 64-54.
b. They are tied for the lead in the AL Wild Card race.
c. The Orioles have won or split their last 5 series.
d. They are 7-3over their last 10 games.
2. Manny Machado was named Co-AL Player of the Week (July 6th –July 12th). Machado went 6-16 (.375), 7 RBI, 5R, 3HRs, 3B, 2B.
a. Wilkes’ Take: Not bad for your first week in the majors. In fact it wasn’t even a full week it was four games. While the bat has been nice the glove at third has been even more impressive. He has great range, and is a major upgrade defensively over Wilson Betemit.
3. Brian Matusz will be working as relief pitcher while down at Triple-A Norfolk. The Orioles believe Matusz’s ability to get lefties out could make him a perfect fit in the pen. Matusz is said to be excited about the opportunity.
a. Wilkes’ Take: Of course Matusz is excited because he currently has zero chance being a meaningful starter for this team. Right now becoming a lefty specialist might be his only hope in salvaging a fledging pitching career
4. LHP Troy Patton was placed on the 15 day DL with a right ankle sprain. According to Brittany Ghiroli from MLB.com Troy’s injury occurred in the parking garage of his Baltimore apartment last Sunday.
a. Wilkes’ Take: Patton will be sorely missed. Patton on the year had a 2.58 ERA with 48Ks and 1.03 WHIP. I’m confident that Patton will be back 100% healthy in 15 days and ready for the stretch run
5. Patton being the only lefty in the Orioles forced them to make a move. So the Orioles traded Triple-A infielder Carlos Rojas to Cleveland for 36 year old LHP J.C. Romero. If the name sounds familiar to Orioles fans is should because Romero was just released by the O’s in July following a brief stint (17 games) in Triple-A
a. Wilkes’ Take: I don’t have a lot of faith in J.C. Romero. He’s a below average pitcher but he’ll due for the immediate future. Get Healthy Soon Troy!
6. Wilson Betemit was placed on the 15 DL with cartilage tear and a bone bruise in his right wrist
a. The Orioles called up 1B Joe Mahoney from Triple-A Norfolk to replace Betemit on active roster.
7. Oh and the Orioles Run Differential is -44.
a. Wilkes’ Take: SUCK ON THAT PYTHSGOREAN THEOREM!!!