Well in just a few days (Opening cermonies are on Friday, however Mens and Womens football will kickoff on Wednesday) the 2012 London Olympic will be under way. I don’t know how you feel about the Olympics, but I’m all in. Any time you get USA vs (insert country here) I’m involved. Here are the five (or so) events that no one should miss… (I didn’t mention Men’s Basketball because that’s a given)
1) Men’s 100 m (Track&Field)- The most exciting 10 seconds in sports. The 100m final will take place on Sunday August 5th. It will feature WR and OR holder Usain Bolt. While Bolt seems invincible he will have some stiff competition in the field. Watch out for fellow Jamaican Yohan Blake who bested Bolt in the Jamaican Olympic Trials. Also, don’t count out American Tyson Gay whose run a sub 9.70 100m
2) Men’s 200 & 400 Individual Medely (Swimming)- This one is all about the USA. As Michael Phelps (the winningest Olympian ever) will face off with Ryan Lochte. The IM is a true test for a swimmer as it consists of four strokes (Butterfly, Backstroke, Breaststroke, Freestyle). If you want to find the best all-around swimmer in the world all you need to do is check the results of the 200IM (August 2nd) and 400IM (July 28th)
3) Women’s Individual All Around (Gymnastics) - The summer version of figuring skating. Do I feel a little less manly when I watch gymnastics? sure. Did I watch the US Olympic trials? you bet. Will I be watch in the Olympics? count on it. If you don’t watch because you want to “keep your man card” then that’s your choice… you’ll miss out. The Women’s Individual All Around takes place on August 2nd.
4) Women’s Soccer (Football)- Well since the American men aren’t in these Olympics this will have to do. Not to mention the last Women’s World Cup was pretty exciting and don’t see any reason why the Olympics shouldn’t be. Oh and I have a crush on Alex Morgan… (USA Women’s Soccer get underway on Wednesday July 25th against France
Alex Morgan In SI Swimsuit Issue. In case you were wondering that is in fact body paint…
5) Men’s Decathlon (Track&Field)- Looking for the single greatest athlete in the world? Look no further then the Men Decathlon. This competition takes place over two days (August 8th and 9th) and consists of 10 track and field events. The 10 events (with points given for each even based on performance): 100M, Long Jump, Shot Put, High Jump, 400M, 110M Hurdles, Discus Throw, Pole Vault, Javelin Throw, and 1500M. The United States Ashton Eaton is the current record holder. Side Note: This is what Bruce Jenner competed in before he became a Kardashian and plastic…
A Full Schedule For The Olympics. Anywhere you see a medal means medal for that event will be handed out that day. Track and Field is listed as Athletics..