Disclaimer: the post your about to read has no assigned order, direction and fluidity to it. It is just a bunch of random, honest, thoughts I have on where the Skins currently stand. as the team is in the midst of our 2nd OTA.
Cut me some slack, I leave for vacation (Turks & Caicos with the wife) in the morning, my mind is already there:
Which of the following do you agree:
– Cooley: Theres a lot of talk about if he’ll make the team or be let go due to his 3.8 million cap hit to the team. Cooley is only 29. Which seems young, but the ages in the NFL are more like dog years, 1 dog year for every 7 human year, therefore Cooley is actually 203 years old. Sorda.
It’s not quite that drastic, but despite 29 sounding young, in the NFL it isn’t really. After some injury plagued years the last couple, I personally don’t feel Cooley is a top-tier TE (not top-20). I actually never really felt he was as good as people made him out to be despite his statistics (somebody had to get the stats). Unless, Cooley is willing to strongly renegotiate his contract (my preference), I’m fine with parting ways with Cooley. At this stage of his career, there are dozens of tight-ends who can do we what he can do, for much less money. And all the die-hard fans who love Cooley, his antics, etc… I think you’ll be okay. If you find yourself getting sad, just reflect back to all the great wins those Cooley featured offenses gave us over the years.
My thoughts are strictly business, as a person, I really like Cooley, would love to share a glass of wine at Tarara Winery (we’re both members) and enjoy some second-hand smoke with the guy.
– Josh Morgan: I am not on the “we upgraded the WR position” train when Josh Morgan’s name is included in it. I’ll give credit to Garcon, I like him!
As for Morgan, most people are predicting he’ll be taking over for Moss. Is he younger? Yes! Advantage Morgan. Has he been better than Moss at any point of his 4-years in the league? No! In 2005, Moss’s 1483 yds almost have totaled what Morgan has totaled all 4-years in the league, 1764. Morgan thrived in 09′ with 52 recs, Moss only went below that number 3-times in the 10-years he’s been a regular contributor. Just because he’s younger doesn’t mean the product on the field will be better. Morgan is not Moss. Despite different positions, he’s not Jabar Gaffney either. Not thrilled about Morgan today. Need. To. See. More.
– Tim Hightower: I’m happy we re-signed Hightower. He runs hard, blocks harder and seems to be a good guy. He’s local (Virginia-Guy) and wanted to be here. When teamed up with Helu and Royster they make the Indiana Pacers trio of running backs (bunch of good role players, but no superstar… so who takes the final shot? Or gets us that 1-yard?)
– Niles Paul: Bias opinion coming: I like Niles Paul and he likes Ball Hogs Radio. In all honesty, despite him liking BHR, if I didnt think he was good-fit for DC, I wouldn’t like him. But, I think he’s an asset that can be a major weapon for us. I hope he doesn’t end-up like my current dress-shirt situation (I can’t find one that fits right, I’m in between sizes). Wide receiver or tight end?
Tight end is the direction we’re headed and thats where I’d go too. What does the 6’1″ 225lb Paul need to do to be successful? Be like the 6’2″ 245lb Aaron Hernandez. And get more tattoos. Simple as that.
– Fred Davis & Trent Williams: Fresh off a brief stint on rehab suspension for their pot-smoking, Trent and Fred are back! I have no legitimate reason to trust these guys (no one does) but my gut feeling is that these guys are going to stay clean and are ready for a big season. I just feel it. Especially Fred Davis. He’s playing on the Franchise Tag and despite getting paid handsomely this year, there’s no guarantees beyond this year, he knows that and the Skins know that. Sleepy Davis knows where his bread is buttered and will step up this year to get paid with a long-term deal.
– RG3: I still love him as does the rest of the city! I have to be honest, when I heard Bruce Allen say that he’s been at Redskins Park 12 hours a day recently, that was music to my ears for a couple different reasons. 1) he’s learning the playbook, working out, building relationships with the coaches, etc… and 2) that he’s not in front of the cameras, on TV or in the papers.
I’m not saying I dis-like him being in front the camera and all, I like him, but I’ve had enough already. The guy is great, but I’m as familiar with his story as I am T.O. and its only been 6-weeks since we drafted him, I just want to see him play football, really, really, badly. Less Hollywood, More Ashburn!
– Secondary: As of today our starting secondary would have to be: Wilson, Hall, Doughty and Gomes (the safety position will most likely change but at this point, if the season started today, the other guys don’t know enough to step-in.) With that said, I’m already plotting my fantasy teams accordingly: remember to start (Miles, Dez/ Cruz, Nicks/ D-Jack, Maclin) for any and all matchups with the Skins. Not really thrilled about whats going on here.
– 80th Anniversary Uniforms: these will be rolled out during two games this season. My hope is that we’ll pull a Randy Edsall (please take a moment… the words you just read in bold, I’ve never said before) and pull a uniform switcheroo right after warmups and go back to the regular uni’s. I was we could re-celebrate the 75th uniforms and simply put a new patch on that reads 80th anniversary. New uniforms are below: (how did Marc Herzlich get to wear our 80th Anniversary uniform in college?)
– Practice Bubble: Theres one part of the story that may not be 100% true: unless your the landscapers cutting the grass in my neighborhood right now while it rains, thunders & lightings, you shouldn’t be outside in extreme weather, thankfully the Skins no longer have to. We have a practice bubble! We’d like to thank the local Planet Fitness for their years of service letting the team use the aerobic room and we’d like to apologize to all the ladies who’s zumba classes we’re bumped cause the Skins had to use the facilities. (not sure about the Zumba classes, but it makes sense)
– Ball Hogs Radio: Big fans of them. Great banter and very entertaining!
– Jarvis Jenkins: Excited for JJ to return to the field. In his brief stints during preseason and training camp it was hinted by many that he was our top DL. Also, check him out on Twitter, the guy’s shoe collection is silly and he has a Darnell Dockett-esque knack for brand-names and letting us know about them. Nonetheless, big fan of 99!
– Leonard Hankerson: Oh man, I really love this guy. I really want Hankerson to be a STAR in DC, really really badly, not just for him but for us. We need a young star at the wideout position and if Hankerson can be that guy, him and Garcon can be our duo for years to come. With that said, his hip concerns me. Their saying he should be ready but I know he hasn’t done much of anything as of today and its not like he’s a veteran with proven success to fall back on, he was still learning when he was playing. Now he’ll be learning, growing, while playing off an injury, all of which usually doesn’t equal a positive situation. This may take some time, lets be patient.
– Offensive Line: Garners zero emotion from me, neither good nor bad. Very blah! Unfortunately, when offensive lines are blah, thats not usually a good sign.
Did I miss anything? Tweet us at @BallHogsRadio