Last year, we [BHR] had a lot fun putting together our top-20 Twitter “must follows” for sports in the DC/MD/VA area. You can read who made the 2011 list here. It wasn’t easy, but we did our best to narrow it down to just 20.
With 2012 now upon us, we figured it is time to update the list. It’s time to see if the tweeter’s who earned the nod in 2011 were able to maintain their top-20 position or if any new tweeter’s we’re able to knock them off in 2012.
To help put together the new list, we reached out beyond BHR and called on our friends for assistance. We asked 12 of our favorite DMV sports bloggers and podcasters (nobody knows and appreciates their DC sports and Twitter like these guys) to submit their top-20 lists; who they consider to be their most enjoyable, insightful, humorous and engaging sports Twitter follows in the DMV. Once we compiled everyone’s list, we matched up the lists and narrowed it down to the top-20.
We chose to leave Ball Hogs Radio off the Top-20, because… you know, people would’ve thought we were bias or something.
Nonetheless, the voters consisted of:
- @BallHogsRadio – @ABradley5 – @WilkesonWarpath – @TheRealKRE
Between everyone’s list: there were 125 different people nominated for this years Top-20… competition was stiff! You can see the full-list of everyone who received votes, here. This years end result finds us with 10 new first-time additions from last years list, so without further adieu… here is our list: (“New” represents a new addition to the list for 2012)
- EB from the Junkies (@EBJunkies): @Sportsyackontap: “Most Active Sports Junkie on Twitter, interacts with fans and regardless of what Beaver thinks, I sort of really like him.” – @Thenakedmoose : EB, aka Mr. TMZ. While irrational and very in the moment at times, you gotta follow this guy. EB always seems to have something interesting to say, definitely someone to stop for while scrolling through your timeline.” – @WilkesonWarpath: “Nice mix of pop culture and sports. Not to mention, despite his popularity in the DMV, he always manages to respond to his followers.” – @RecordsANDradio: “The most outspoken member of the DC radio institution (The Sports Junkies), he is amongst the most entertaining you will find. Why? Because he posts on his mind and doesn’t apologize for it.”
- Rich Tandler (@Rich_Tandler): @CarbonPrimo: “My personal favorite and one of the most interactive Redskins beat writers out there. Rich is always thorough with his personnel analysis and yet still has time to answer practically every question from readers.” – @Above_Legit: “Very few journalists on twitter are able to interact with their followers the way Rich does. It speaks volumes toward his work ethic and dedication. You have a Skins question, tweet Rich, he WILL answer.” @Thenakedmoose: “How this guy writes as much as he does about a team like the Redskins is fascinating. I have found my self sitting down for a good hour, thinking what to write about and Rich has pumped out three entries during that time.”
- “New” – Chris Russell (@Russellmania980): @John_Atchison: “Another terrific, insight on the Washington Redskins. His viewpoints are the reason I go to ESPN 980 during the day.” – @CarbonPrimo: Always one of the first to break player news and roster updates… CR is a must follow for all Redskins fans!” – @Sportsyackontap: “I like his “all-in” approach when covering the Redskins. He can be a bit manic, and he likes to complain about DMV traffic but the guy is a must follow during football season. He is also the recipient of the “Tweet of the Year” when he declared that a pitstop in a Nascar race was the: “most amazing feat in sports.”" demiable
- “New” – Adam McGinnis from Truth About It (@AdamMcGinnis): @MrDCsports: A Wizards media guy. Post good quotes from inside the locker room & brings a great perspective to Wizards fans with his tweets. - @ABradley5: “Besides sharing the same first name, I have been very pleased with the decision to recently follow Adam. Provides great insight, clearly knows his basketball, speaks his mind and is willing to call out people where necessary. In addition, he is very thorough, constantly looking for nuggets of info, proven by him combing the Ball Hogs website during recent Wizards interviews. - @CarbonPrimo: A writer for TruthAboutIt.net, Adam is not only knowledgeable about the Wizards happenings, he is an avid fan of the team and provides great in game commentary.
- HogsHaven (@HogsHaven): @Above_Legit: One of the most up-to-date blogs on the web, Hogs Haven generates a ton of interest among Redskins fans. It’s constantly updated with analysis of games, the latest from within the organization and provides great insight on the team. Judging by his near 15K tweets, I’d say hes a Twitter must follow. @Callahan_9: Best Redskins blog bar none! @John_Atchison: “What A wonderful group of Redskins fanatics in my opinion. They seem like a group I would be hanging with in a local bar talking sports and talking smack!
- Dan Steinberg (@DCSportsBog): @MustRockTheRed: Its not always pretty, but Steinberg has his finger firmly on the pulse of what it means to be a DC sports fan. @RecordsANDradio: Perhaps THE source for the most entertaining content for DC sports. When he posts, the retweets speak for themselves. @Sportsyackontap: Entertaining, original, and cutting edge as fas as blogs go. Similar to what Deadspin does on a national level, Steinberg does locally bringing relevance to bloggers. Not to mention, his post Redskins games “Best and Worst” column is the best game recap by any journalist in the DMV.
- “New” – Steve Czaben (@Czabe): @TheRealKRE: Says a lot of things I think, which is probaly scary, but in all seriousness, he is funnier more times than he’s not. @DCSportsGuys: He is a no BS guy and is not afraid to put his opinion no matter how harsh it may be, out to the world. @WilkesonWarpath: Czabe makes me laugh like few others on Twitter. He’s toned down his language but still isn’t afraid to give you his raw opinion. To say he’s outspoken would be putting it lightly. @Sportsyackontap: Nothing compares to the (sometimes foul-mouthed) tweets that are fired from Czabens man cave, while he’s watching multiple events, tipping back a cocktail (or 7).
- Burgundy Blog (@BurgundyBlog): @ABradley: Once BB states his opinion on a subject, he’s not moving… You have to like and respect that, I do. Not to mention, we went through the “this win in Seattle was pointless, the worst thing that could’ve happened to us” fire together, great follow! @CarbonPrimo: A must follow for Redskins fans looking for an “in the know” Redskins fan. His blog contains great player interviews, videos and his interesting takes on the team. @Above_Legit: Known for his rational opinion on the Redskins, this is a great follow. Not to mention, he’s willing to go at it and interactive with all his followers.
- “New” – John Keim (@johnkeim): @Callahan_9: Skins beat reporter for the Washington Examiner, best in the business. @John_Atchison: Seems to always be the first one of the group to get Redskins news out, great follow! @Above_Legit: Recently named DC’s sportswriter of the year, Keim has placed his mark all over the DMV area. I’m not the only to say this, Kein produces the best analysis on the Redskins out of any beat writer I’ve come across.
- Holden Kushner (@HoldenRadio): @TheRealKRE: Despite being a local guy, for some reason I enjoy his retweets of current events around the country. @RecordsANDradio: Provides a nice mix of humor and sports. He isn’t PG on twitter and I wouldn’t have it any other way. @MustRockTheRed: Holden is a fun follow. He keeps on top of both local and national sport news and always offers a fresh, honest take. @John_Atchison: Love the guy’s versatility and wit. For that alone he’s worth following, plus the fact that he’ll talk with you about anything.
- Grant Paulsen - (@granthpaulsen): @Thenakedmoose: What can I say about this guy other than the fact that he has probably forgotten more about sports than I’ll probably ever know. His points, updates and general twitter presence is in constant state of zen. @MrDCsports: My favorite Redskins reporter, he always drops the good info. @RecordsANDradio: I think he’s been covering sports since before he was born. Not even out of college, he provides some of the best Redskins coverage around. Bonus-he knows baseball too.
- “New” – Gene Wang (@Gene_Wang): @MustRockTheRed: Any self-respecting fantasy football player should follow Gene for his sage wisdom. @RecordsANDradio: While he covers just about everything related to DC area sports, he is perhaps the GO TO person for fantasy football advice and takes the time to answer all questions. In addition, he knows a lot about music, good music! @ABradley5: How can someone seem like a cool great guy over twitter is beyond me but Gene is able to pull that off. I also have to show love to GW for coming on BHR despite being broken down on the side of the road waiting for a tow-truck, that’s commitment!
- “New” – Brian Mitchell (@BmitchliveCSN): @TheRealKRE: I love people that speak their mind, B-Mitch is one of those type of guys, enjoyable follow! @CarbonPrimo: Never known to hold back his feelings, the former Redskins great is as straight forward as it gets. His style may rub some folks the wrong way but he stands his ground and tells things like it is and I appreciate his demeanor. @WilkesonWarpath: B-Mitch isn’t afraid to mix it up with his followers. I love guys like B-Mitch who usually twitter as a form of communication, not just a shouting board. He also earned points by laying into my BHR counterpart @ABradley5 about some Redskins topic they were going back and forth about, on of all days, Christmas Eve night, LOL. Thats the best…
- Michael Lee - (@MrMichaelLee): @CarbonPrimo: Simply put, Mike is THE man to follow for Wizards pregame, in game and post game news. His player news, transcripts and input are top notch. @Above_Legit: The position of beat writer for the Washington Wizards is not an easy job, you’re covering everything those knuckleheads do on a daily basis and are then obligated to transcribe all of that into the Washington Post. Lee has done tremendous work covering the team. @MrDCsports: Best Wizards Guy! @WilkesonWarpath: His inside knowledge of the Wizards is second to none. He manages to get quotes and stories that other Wizards beat writers do not.
- “New” – Cindy Boren (@CindyBoren): @DCSportsGuys: Wit, humor and insight to everything DC, great follow! @RecordsANDradio: Perhaps the queen of DC Sports Twitter? A regular on the SI Top 100. She provides a wide array of content and is amongst the interactive. @Above_Legit: Probaly the most well known tweeter around this area, Boren is known for her great work with Washington Post. @Callahan_9: WaPo Early Lead and Seinfield/Arrested Development aficionado. Can’t beat that…
- “New” – Danny Rouhier (@funnydanny): @CarbonPrimo: Due to the struggling Redskins season(s) Funny Danny has turned into GrumpyDanny recently and who can blame him, we haven’t had much cheer for this season. Still he is someone to follow for Redskins fans. @MustRockTheRed: Smart, funny guy on the radio and smart, funny guy on twitter. It’s not rocket science. @ABradley5: my love for Danny on twitter is truthfully derived from my respect for him and all of his hour-long radio spots as he sits SOLO in the studio, not an easy task. Great work…
- “New” – Alan May (@MayHockeyCSN): @DCSportsGuys: The team dedicated analyst in all of DC sports. @Sportsyackontap: Very no nonsense, kind of like how he carried himself on the ice. Great for Caps/Hockey insight and its no surprise to us that he’s on TV. @MustRockTheRed: If you love Alan on CSN Caps Coverage, then you’ll love his unfiltered in-game tweets about Ovi and the guys.
- Ivan Carter - (@IvanCarterCSN): @Callahan_9: He represents CSN and seems like a cool, down-to-earth type guy. @Above_Legit: Hailing from Minnesota, it’s not easy covering everything in the DMV, but Ivan manages the task well. Despite admitting he’s still a Vikings fans, he doesn’t let it cloud his judgment. He provides sound insight on every sport, does a great job interacting with his followers and was a great host on his TV show Washington Post Live. And stay tune, CSN has just green lit his next show with Brian Mitchell, that should be great to see. @WilkesonWarpath: One of the few guys in the area who talks soccer. Between soccer and his bar recommendations Ivan is a solid follow.
- Mike Prada - (@MikePradaSBN): @DCSportsGuys: When I watch Wizards games (don’t laugh) I learn more from MikePradaSBN than anyone else. @Above_Legit: There are few writers that I find genuinely funny: Mike Prada is on that very short list. Whether it’s tweeting the most awkward TV snapshot or tweeting inside jokes only DMV natives can relate to, he’s got it all. Combine that with some of the best analysis on the NBA and our beloved Wizards and you got something worth following. @CarbonPrimo: Mike is an interactive, intelligent Wizards analyst that every Wizards fan needs to have in their follow rotation.
- “New” – Neil Greenberg (@NGreenberg): @John_Atchison: Certainly gives you a different insight on the Capitals and statistics. Entertaining on other subjects too. @MustRockTheRed: Preferring numbers to narratives, #FancyStats guru Neil Greenberg is a must follow for any Caps fan in search of the truth. @WilkesonWarpath: Draws the lines between personal opinion and fact. He manages to explain the Capitals so even a layman hockey fan can understand. @Thenakedmoose: Anyone who knows stats like this guy should be on this list. My head hurts sometimes just thinking about what he has put on paper. I used to be a stats guy, but NG has somewhat changed my outlook.
Congratulations to all those that made this years (2012) Top-20 DMV Sports Twitter Must-Follows.
The honorable mention list is as follows:
Thanks for checking out the list… We appreciate everyones contributions to this post. Give us a follow: @BallHogsRadio