Ball Hogs contributor, Chris Miesbach, traveled up to Penn State to attend this weekend’s Penn St/Nebraska game. Unsure of what to expect and after thoughtful consideration of bailing on the weekend trip, Chris decided to continue with the original plans and to bring his camera to catch the unexpected, which Penn St. has seen plenty of this week.
Check out the sights from Saturday’s matchup vs. Nebraska:
- Under the circumstances, the tailgating wasn’t as lively as normal Saturdays in Happy Valley.
- Fans still lined up to grab a photo of the Joe Paterno statue. (notice the added security to the right)
- Speaking of added security… this is NOT normal for a regular PSU game.
- Two planes were rented with messages hoping to get across loud and clear: “Cry for the kids, not cowards and liars” & “Joe is so dirty he needs a shower”
- But once inside, the field and stadium looked as good as always (note the number of people on the sidelines, especially far-side) reported an extra 150 media passes were handed out compared to normal:
- Players walked out arm-in-arm in rows:
- The emotional scene before the game as both teams met in the middle for a prayer and moment of silence:
- The students were singing a different tune since we last saw them rioting in and around the campus, “For the Kids”
- Former Washington Redskin and Penn State Nittany Lion, Lavar Arrington taking in the scene:
Follow Chris on Twitter: @cmies